As the name itself says, the zero article isn’t a word in its true meaning, but something implied. To better understand its use, we have chosen the following examples and explanations:
- We use the zero article with names of continents, week-days, persons, months, countries and so on:
- Sunday is my favorite day of the week.
- Europe is known as the “old-continent”.
- Mike likes chocolate cakes a lot.
- July is the seventh month of the year.
2. We use it in front of colors, sports/games, languages, meals:
- Red is my team’s color.
- Golf is an aristocratic game.
- French is the language of love.
- I never have time for breakfast.
3. In front of nouns used in a general way:
- Girls like dresses and shoes.
- Kids like playing.
- Water boils at 100 degrees.
- Miracles happen.
4. With abstract nouns or nouns which cannot be counted (gold,water, salt, sand …):
- Beauty is a relative concept.
- Take care of yourself!
- Salt and pepper are the most common spices.
- Silver is cheaper than gold.
5. It is used in fixed structures:
- I miss him day after day.
- Tomorrow morning I have to be on duty.
- I like to indulge myself with a decadent dessert from time to time.
- In general they manage to cope with the difficult situations.
- I assembled it piece by piece.
- You came just in time for dinner.
- Keep calm and do things step by step.
- I looked for help everywhere but nobody reacted.