Sentences With The Indefinite Article: „A/An”
- Unlike the definite article, the Indefinite article is used when talking about things in general.
Let’s see an example:
- I gave her a book. (doesn’t matter what book, any book)
- I gave her the book she wanted.
2. As we will see, the indefinite article has two forms:
– “a” : when used in front of words starting with a consonant or a semi-consonant:
- I saw a dog chasing a cat.
- It’s been a year since I haven’t seen him.
- He gave her a flower as a sign of love.
– “an” when used in front of words starting with a vowel:
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
- I have an idea about how this might work.
- He came to the party with an elegant woman.
3. Usually it introduces new elements and can be used:
– in front of nouns followed/preceeded by adjectives:
- Miss Hellen is a good teacher.
- The food was served on a big plateau.
- On our way here, we saw a house on fire and we called the fire brigade.
– in some structures such as:
- I went to a greengrocer to buy these apples.
- You should go to a florist and buy a big bouquet of roses.
- I fall in love with a green-eyed girl.
- A hundred years ago nobody thought technology will develop so much.
- I want one kilo of sugar and a bread.